About this course
This course helps you unlock features of the open data portal to improve your own data workflows.
Have you heard of the City’s open data portal? Even if you haven’t, you should know that it’s much more than a transparency website and catalog of data. It actually has a powerful set of features you can leverage in your own data work. This course is most useful for those who want to use data from the portal, or want to understand how your department’s data can be loaded to the portal. It will help you to unlock data portal features to improve your own data workflows.
The class assumes you have working knowledge of Excel and a curiosity to learn new tools.
What you’ll learn in this course
- Using the open data portal (30 min)
- Finding a dataset
- Creating filters and maps
- Connecting your dataset to analysis tools (PowerBI, Excel)
- Contributing to the open data portal (30 min)
- Uploading a dataset
- Creating metadata & other documentation
- Publishing and sharing data
This workshop assumes that you are comfortable with data analysis and have manipulated data in Excel.
Upcoming courses scheduled
- Mar. 30, 2023 @ 9 - 10:30AM
- Apr. 27, 2023 @ 9 - 10:30AM
- May 25, 2023 @ 9 - 10:30AM
Click the green button to be put on the wait list. You will receive an email the next time the class is offered (and seats are available). You must seek your supervisor’s approval to attend any Data Academy courses.
- Learn more on the City’s open data portal