About This Course
Have you heard of the City’s open data portal? Even if you haven’t, you should know that it’s much more than a transparency website and catalog of data. It actually has a powerful set of features you can leverage in your own data work. This course is most useful for those who want to use data from the portal, or want to understand how your department’s data can be loaded to the portal. It will help you to unlock data portal features to improve your own data workflows. To get the most out of this class, you should have Excel 2010 with the Power Query Add-in (free) or Excel 2013 on your work computer.
The class assumes you have working knowledge of Excel and a curiosity to learn new tools.
What You’ll Learn In This Course
- How to load data manually into the open data portal
- How to connect to live data using Excel and the Power Query add-in
- How to ask questions about datasets through the portal
- How to discover yet to be published data not on the portal
- How to search for data on the open data portal
- How to create charts and maps on the open data portal