The City and County of San Francisco has a new open data site: Data.SFGov.org.
Please follow the link to the site to search, browse and view San Francisco data.
It would be nice to have each to the data sets be complete and in at least one standard web machine-readable format (XML, RSS, XOMGL, KML) and one human readable format (CSV, XLS).
Using data.gov as an example, where next to each dataset there is a direct link to the format available.
The data should be complete and historic, not just the most recent month, which discourages newcomers.
- Building Permits in XLS format with historic data
- Street Tree List. Good, but has 'coordinates' but not Lat/Lon
- Restaurant Scores: html only, not all at once
- Crime Incident Data: 90 days only, divided by neighborhood, kml too large
- Crime Call for Service: Random XML format, only 30 days
DataSF is a clearinghouse of datasets available from the City & County of San Francisco. Our goal in releasing this site is:
(1) improve access to data
(2) help our community create innovative apps
(3) understand what datasets you'd like to see
(4) get feedback on the quality of our datasets.